Sunday, July 14, 2013

Week 5,4,3, and 2


From: Camille Gunnell 
Subject: Week 5
Date: July 1, 2013 5:05:37 AM MDT

First off, thank you so much Gigi, Grandma Gunnell, Suzanne, Amy, and mom for the lovely letters.  I loved them and all and the motivation they gave me.  I reread them often! 
This week we have been trying to visit a lot of less actives.  It is has been successful.  There were a couple of less actives that actually came to church, which was really exciting for us!! Church yesterday was great by the way!! We watched the missionary broadcast!! Wow wasn't that powerful!! I loved seeing the whole Marriot Center packed!! I got teary when they were showing the video clips of the missionaries leaving on missions and saying their goodbyes to their families.  It brought back all of the emotions I was feeling.  The broadcast just made me more pumped.  I want to build really good relationships with the ward members so they will trust me with sharing the gospel to their friends.  I hope this will happen.  The people in the ward are so nice!! I love them.  Yesterday, church was very empty and I felt like it just gives me more of a reason to work hard.  I was studying this morning about diligence.  I cannot believe how necessary this is!! I cannot be lazy!! It is easy to coast through the days, but when I work hard I can feel the Spirit stronger in my life.  This is what life is all about.  I want to feel the Spirit always in my life!! If there is any way to keep the Spirit with me I will do whatever it takes.  I love the happiness that I feel when I have it. 

I am still having a difficult time with expressing myself.  I just get so quiet and can't express myself.  I need to practice and practice and practice.  I hope to someday be as good as Sister Barlow.  When Sister Barlow and I am teaching, I don't really say anything because she just has it all down and goes on about it all and I don't know when to butt in.  I don't want to butt in though because I probably will mess up and freeze.  At District Meeting this week, we were practicing with our Zone Leader, Elder Romney.  After we were done teaching the Restoration he just raved about how well Sister Barlow did.  Then he turned to me and said you were really quiet.  I can tell that you are trying to learn Preach My Gospel.  I don't know why, but it was really really hard on me.  I hate when I know I am struggling with something and then someone points out and says it.  I really struggle with this, but Sister Barlow comforts me.  I started tearing up when we were walking to the bus and she was just like "Sister Gunnell I promise you he was in the exact same position as you were.  No one comes out here able to just teach a lesson.  It comes with time."  I think about clogging and how I just wanted to quit the first time I started because it was frustrating and I thought I would never be able to get it.  I feel that exact same way right now.  It is hard not to just give up, but I know in the long run I will see myself speaking to everyone about these lessons and getting all of the points in.  I am so glad that I know that through practice, I can become better because I have seen myself progress through staying with clogging.  All of the little experiences that I have had in my life have helped me be at this point right now.  I just can't believe how God shows me this everyday.  This is how I know that I am supposed to be here :)  I am not going to let anyone rain on my parade.  When I have a hard time I just sing that song and it helps haha!! I love how much stronger I am becoming. 

I love all of you so much.  Thanks for your love and support!!
Much love,
Sister Camille Gunnell

P.S. I am sorry if I don't write you an email back.  I love hearing from you!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't have enough time. 



From: Camille Gunnell
Subject: Week 4.. time is flying.
Date: June 24, 2013 5:05:17 AM MDT

FAMILY!!!
Time is really weird here out on the mission.  I can't believe I am already in my fourth week.  I can't wrap my head around it.  Sister Barlow and I have been trying to reach our goals and we did it this week.  We actually went head and shoulders above it.  We were so excited!! We have been knocking like crazy and trying to teach people about the Restoration.  Our Heavenly Father has blessed us incredibly.  Sister Barlow tells me just to remember these days when days in the mission I am trying my best and my hardest and it feels like I am getting no results.  This past week though we have been able to see miracles and reach our goals.  People have listened to us at their doorsteps and it has been incredible.  Our goal was to get five lessons, but we got seventeen!!!!!!!! It has been hard work, but it is worth it.  Even though people don't give us their phone numbers to contact them again, we have invited them to come unto Christ, which is our purpose here.  We fasted yesterday as a mission and zone to have the hearts of the England people open, we can find successfully, and try our hardest go the extra mile.  In our zone we fasted that we would reach our goal this past week of having 180 teaches for our zone.  Well last night Sister Barlow and I told our District Leader, Elder Benedetti, our key indicators and then we went out knocking afterwards.  After we were done, we had reached our goal of three more teaches.  We called Elder Benedetti back and left a message on his voice mail.  Later that night he called us back and said, "A miracle has happened. As a zone we were at 177 teaches, but because of your message we were able to reach our goal of 180!!!" Is that so exciting or what?! I was so happy! God's hand is in this work.  It is incredible to see these little things that make you know that.  Back home, I probably had these little things occur where I could've seen God's hand in my life more often, but I was so focused on other things.  Out here these moments are so recognizable. 
Funny story of the week for sure was this man that we met in St. Ives.  By the way St. Ives is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! I will have to go on a P-Day and take pictures because wow!!! Anyways, this old man was probably in his 80's.  We were trying to talk to him about the Restoration, but he was just going on and on about bible stories and stuff.  He knew so much about the Bible.  Whenever we started talking he would interrupt and go off about something in the Bible.  It was very interesting. Well the whole time he was talking to us, he was just staring at me.  (By the way, we met him through knocking so we were at his doorstep.)  Then he came started touching my arm when he said things.  I kind of scooted back.  Then I said something and he said are those your real teeth?! (By the way, a lot of people's teeth here are horrible haha.. they don't believe in braces or brushing.) He was like, "I've already taken mine out for the night." Then he started going off about something else in the Bible when we would ever explain something and then he was like out of no where, " Oh I just could kiss ya, my darling."  It was so weird and it was so so so hard not to laugh.  Then at the end we ended with a prayer.  At this time we were half way out on his lawn because he was just keep on getting closer and closer to me.  After that, he said ok now give me a kiss and he pulled me in and I said no way Jose and I booked it out.  That was so funny.  Hopefully something that we said left him wanting to learn more about the church.  We did try to teach him.  That was just funny.  He wasn't like scary or anything. 
Another story.  There was a girl on the bus.  We were on the bus going to Truro.  We didn't say anything, which is my bad because I should start the conversation, but after a while me and her started chatting about how hot it was on that bus.  Then we started talking about where she was going and what she is studying in school.  She was studying Religions or something so I started talking to her about our church and stuff.  She was really interested and then I gave her some stuff to read and check out.  God seriously does help me.  Then we departed and she was really happy and said she would check the site and stuff out.  Then, at the end of the day.  I was on a bus to go home when she was on the sidewalk.  She looked up right at me and I looked at her and it was like whoa.  We waved and it was like God places people in your paths... I know it.  Even if she doesn't want to learn more, I tried and invited her.  I am so glad to see these miracles.  What are the odds that I would see her again.  I love these kinds of things that happen on the mission.
Everyone.. please make a mormon.org profile for me.  We get 30 minutes to be on there every week.  I would love to look up yours.  Let me know when you have :)
My companion has been sick with a cold this past week, but she has been such a trooper.  I can tell it is weighing her down, but she is keep on going even though she isn't very happy.  I am grateful I haven't gotten it. 
I love this area that I am in. Members say that I will probably be here for half of my mission.  I wouldn't mind.  The people are wonderful and so ready to hear the gospel.  I just feel that there are so many people here that need this gospel in their lives.  EVERYONE needs this gospel in their lives.  My bishop is so awesome.  He shared a scripture with me that is in D&C 100:4.. read it.  It is awesome and I know it to be true.  I know that President Millar is called of God.  I know Heavenly Father needs me here right now. 
Some english things:
1. car park is a parking lot
2. car boot sale is a garage sale (they don't have garages here)
3. pavement is side walk
4. a bonnet is a hood of a car
5. Dad, there are SO many bikers here.  They book it!! I am impressed!! They have all the gear and everything.  It scares me really bad though because the streets are so tiny and I don't understand how they don't get hit!!
6. It is so hard to find addresses because they all have street names.  These street names are normal names that are easy to remember either.  I feel like I have my nose in my map all of the time.  I am slowly understanding directions and how things work here. 
7. EVERYONE has dogs... like seriously everyone!! They absolutely love their dogs.  Everyone takes their dogs everywhere too.  I just want Puppy Annie to be running around with me everywhere that I go here right now.  I am surprised I haven't seen them in church yet ;) jk. 

Quote of the week: "When the distance between you and God gets bigger, who moved?"

I love you and I am so grateful to be here on this Earth today.  I know that serving others brings so much happiness.  Sometimes I just can't believe how I go through everyday.  Then I realize, the only reason I am is because the Lord is on my side.  Because of this, I don't fear :) Missionary work is incredible!! Bishop Trewhella (my bishop here, 32 years old) told this to the congregation last night in Sacrament Meeting and I loved it. "I don't like the words missionary work.  We should change this word to being Christlike." He said it somewhere along those lines.  I loved it.  It is true.  Sometimes when you think of missionary work you kind of get stressed out, but just try to be more Christlike each day. Those missionary opportunities will come because of the way you are living and the way you want to treat others.  You will want to be more like Christ!!

I love love love love love you!! I am so excited to see what another week will bring!!

Love,
Sister Camille Gunnell



From: Camille Gunnell
Subject: Week 3
Date: June 17, 2013, 5:08:47 AM MDT

Hey!!!!!!!
I am doing well.  Missionary work is hard, but it wouldn't be worth it if it was easy :) Some random things that I have seen this week that I though you would get a kick out of.  So you know how our door has the door knob in the middle.. well I know where it came from.  Almost EVERY house here has their door knob in the middle of their door!! I was like we are that cool that the people that built the house brought that idea all the way from England.  I like knocking on those doors because it reminds me of home every time.  Also, everything (and I mean everything) closes before five here.  All of the shops, restaurants, and everything are not open after five.  It is crazy!! The streets are so empty!!! We are pretty much the only ones walking the streets after that time. 
Also, I wake up to seagulls making so much noise instead of chirping I heard from birds up in the pine trees outside of my window at home. 
The Cornish people are awesome.  They say that the Cornish people are a different breed than the English people.  They don't believe themselves to be English.  This area is so fun!!
I love playing the piano.  Because it was Father's Day, the primary children (which is only like five or something) came up and sang a song.  I was at the piano, they gave me the book and said play this. They were just going to sing it without a pianist because they don't have one (like seriously no one plays the piano in the ward).  I was like oh my goodness I can't just play something.  But guess what, I played the song without messing up.  I was so proud, but I knew I couldn't just do that.  Someone was helping me. 
The most wonderful thing about being here in this area is everyone is incredibly nice.  Even if I knock on the door they say I am so sorry but I don't have time right now.  We haven't had any that have been that rude.  It is incredible.  The people here are so lovely.  I can't believe how lucky/blessed I am to be in this area of England.  It is beautiful. 
A word that I have had a really hard time not saying here is Bummer.  I ALWAYS say that and it is a bad word here.  I catch myself saying it all of the time and I feel so bad.  I am trying to take that word out of my vocabulary.  They also spell things way differently here.  Tires, color, theater, etc.  It is weird how it is different here.  A garden is the front of back yard.  Toilet is the restroom.  Fringe is bangs.  Trousers are pants.. pants are underwear.  Bins are the trash can.  Trash is rubbish.  That is just the start of differences here. 
The one thing that I have been most grateful for this week is the values I was taught throughout my life.  There are so many teenagers and people here that were never taught how to be polite or how to treat others.  This world is getting more and more crazy.  On the bus Sister Barlow and I hear conversations that people are having and I just try to sing a song in my head because they talk so nasty.  How sad.. It just makes me realize how much every person needs the gospel in their life to help them realize the purpose in their life.  We ask people while knocking what the purpose of their life is.  I know that is a little deep, but a lot of people don't think there is a purpose and think we just are here to be miserable. It breaks my heart.  This life is wonderful!! It is wonderful to explain this to them even if they aren't interested.  They need to realize that this life is full of happiness and beauty.  I love you and I hope that you strive to be a little better each day.  You can do it!!

Love,
Sister Camille Gunnell
AKA: Milton Dean
AKA: Milly
AKA: Camillionaire
AKA: Camillie Will
AKA: Mil

P.S. My companion is from Michigan.  These are some pictures of our flat.  While proselyting, I can't take pictures after reading that in the white handbook. So I haven't taken a lot this week. 





Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:04:53 +0100
Subject: Week 2!!!!!
From: Sister Gunnell

Hey fam!!
I love you more than you know... like seriously!! I can't believe that I have been out here for almost a month?!!! What in the world!! It is blowing my mind. 
I want to start off with this poem that I got in a packet from my mission president. (I guess it is a song, but I don't know the tune)

Jerusalem
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

-William Blake

Isn't that beautiful?! It makes me just want to work even harder.  We are going all day long and it is a struggle, but by the end of the day I feel like I have accomplished so much!!  We are pretty much on our feet all day.  I would've never though it possible to get blisters between my toes, but it happens haha.  I keep going though.  My feet by the end of the day hurt, but that is a sign that I worked as hard as I possibly could that day.  I love this work.
We plan our days to go and find less actives.  White washing is hard because we are starting from nothing, but it is kind of fun.  People ask me all of the time if I am related to Sandy Gunnell, the Olympic runner.  It is funny.  The traveling time takes up a while because the area is so spread out, but it is fun to travel on the busses and see the beautiful green fields and sheep, cows, and horses roaming the fields.  It kind of makes me feel like home except sorry to break it to you, it is prettier HAHAHA.  I love our view at home though.  Nothing gets better than that mountain side. 
We have had a couple dinner appointments, which have been very nice.  They all have been such good food.  I haven't had really any bad food here which is very good :)
There are these things here that are called pasties.  Kind of like a hot pocket, but SSOO much better. This is a big mining community and the wives used to make these for the miners to eat.  They didn't eat the crust because their hands were dirty, but now we eat the whole thing.  It is made up of kind of like pie crust. Yummy!! Because of the mining business and how it went under, there are a lot of people jobless.  It is very sad to see.  There are all of these miner shafts everywhere.  They look like a chimney coming out of the ground.  It is pretty sweet.   The dinner appointments also consist of the best desserts that I have never tried before.  These are some of them lemon merangue pie, rice pudding (I know sound gross but so good), English chocolate (Brooklynn.. Cadbury is everywhere.. remember those little eggs.. yeah that brand), and bread pudding.  I know very bad!! My companion and I run every morning though which is good. I try not to eat any other sweets other than those desserts we have with the members.  My eating schedule is way different now.  Sometimes we don't eat until 8 at night for dinner and lunch is at 11.  We don't have any snacks though which is good.  It is just all over the place. 
Another incredible blessing that I have seen happen is God has literally placed people in our pathways to share the gospel.  It's like they are thrown at us.  They just start talking to us. Yeah, we aren't sometimes even the ones that go up to them.  I see little miracles everyday.  The times I see miracles the most is when I push a little harder or do a little more even though I could've stopped beforehand and would've been ok.  It is absolutely remarkable how Heavenly Father is helping me to get to His children.  This is a difficult mission area to be called to, but we are trying to accomplish as much as possible.  We set goals and this past week we accomplished them!! It was the best feeling ever!! We don't have a whole lot of teaching opportunities, but we practice with one another and it helps.  The people are so kind here.  We knock SSOO much!! At first I absolutely hated it.  I thought it was a waste of time, but now I realize that it makes a difference.  There are so many converts that had the seed planted when they shut the door on the elders or sisters.   I am just glad to know that I am doing my best.  This work is very overwhelming, but I just need to give it my all while I can.  No work goes unnoticed.  We did have a girl come to church with us yesterday.  I hope that she can learn from us and understand that this gospel can bless her life in so many ways (this is one story of where we decided we would go knocking even though we only had 10 minutes til the bus came and then she answered the door and was so welcoming.. miracle). 
I have a very difficult time expressing myself how I want to.  I am trying to be better at this and make the conversation more flowey (if that is a word).  I am trying to understand how to go from different points and make them connect.  This might sound dumb, but I practice in the mirror and it helps haha :) 


Love you so much!! Wish you the best!!
Go out and do a good deed this week.  I promise that if you do you will find happiness.. seriously though.  It is so good to be on the Lord's errand. 

Love,
Sister Gunnell

P.S. Good luck on your talks.  I will be speaking in church that day also!! I feel like we are talking on the same day and its not a coincidence.  I will be at your chapel in spirit and I will know your spirits are with me when I am giving my talk also. 

Bridger!! The big college days are coming up for you!! Get pumped!! They are so fun!! Hope you are having fun working!!
Landen!! Dale!! You give it your all!! Have fun and smile and laugh always.  I miss that smile and laugh of yours more than you know!!

One of the buses she takes every day!

Blisters all the time! We even sent her with Born and Dansko shoes.

Sister Gunnell and Sister Barlow 

No comments:

Post a Comment